Thursday, July 7, 2022

I Don't Want

Song or poem, I don’t know.

 

I don’t want someone who pats my ass

and says he owns my body

because we’re a couple.

I don’t want someone who wants me to praise him

every minute of every day

because that’s what he needs

and that’s my job.


I don’t want someone who needs me close

all the time

and needs to do everything together

I don’t want someone who needs to know

when and where I am going

and with whom

every time I try to go out alone.


That isn’t equals.

That is a needy person

using me.

That isn’t a loving relationship,

It’s control.


I just want someone who listens

  and doesn’t feel a need to twist my words

Someone who doesn’t correct, question, and belittle,

  just because he or she can.

Someone who doesn’t look for disagreement

  in everything i say or don’t say.

Someone who understands that we both 

  sometimes need

    space and silence.

  And we shouldn’t have to explain why.

Someone I can talk to,

Someone i can talk with,

Someone i can listen to

  forever

without feeling small.

without feeling like 

  I am no longer

    me. 


[Here’s the chorus/refrain]

Is someone out there

who fits the bill?

Haven’t found that person yet

Not sure I ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lantern in a Cave writing prompt

I sometimes attend an online writing session, The Narrative Method. I enjoy the photo and question prompts, as well as reading in small grou...